NZ National Gambling Study
The National Gambling Study (NGS) is the first New Zealand population representative longitudinal study into gambling, health, lifestyles, and attitudes about gambling. The NGS started in 2012 with a randomly selected national sample of 6,251 people aged 18 years and older living in private households, and surveyed face-to-face with computer assistance.
The National Survey of Lotteries, Gaming and Betting Activities
The surveys included questions on leisure activities and gambling participation, past gambling and recent gambling behaviour change, problem gambling, life events, attitudes towards gambling, mental health, substance use/misuse, health conditions, social connectedness, level of deprivation and demographics.
Participants remaining in the study were re-surveyed in 2013, 2014 and 2015. In 2018, 50 participants took part in interviews to help us to understand why and how people change their gambling behaviours.
Download the reports on the National Gambling Study
- New Zealand 2012 National Gambling Study: Overview and gambling participation. Report number 1.
- New Zealand 2012 National Gambling Study: Gambling harm and problem gambling. Report number 2.
- New Zealand 2012 National Gambling Study: Attitudes towards gambling. Report number 3.
- New Zealand National Gambling Study: Wave 2 (2013). Report number 4.
- New Zealand National Gambling Study: Wave 3 (2014). Report number 5.
- New Zealand National Gambling Study: Wave 4 (2015). Report number 6.
- Comparing an additional high-risk gambler cohort with National Gambling Study high-risk gamblers. NGS series report number 7
- New Zealand National Gambling Study: Qualitative Phase. NGS series report number 8
- New Zealand National Gambling Study: Correspondence between changes in gambling and gambling risk levels and health, quality of life, and health and social inequalities. NGS series report number 9.
For data access or other enquiries go to the "Accessing micro level data" page on the Ministry of Health’s gambling pages.
Gambling Data Explorer
The Gambling Data Explorer is an interactive tool for exploring data from the New Zealand National Gambling Study. It presents gambling participation and harm results by gender, age and ethnic group. Currently only 2012 data are available but other years are anticipated to be added in the future.
- National Research Bureau
- Ministry of Health